Decided to test 1RM's again after backing off on Deadlifts and Squats starting in March. Hadn't tested since December. I have started playing around with lifting with a belt over the past week or so. I never really felt unsafe without a belt. But I've been reading a lot of Rippetoe lately and he's a staunch belt supporter. So I thought I'd give it a whirl. I have to say that I like it. Again, never felt slack in the core without one. But a belt takes it up a notch. If anyone has some thoughts on belts to share, I'd be interested in hearing them. It seems that most people who test their limits in squats and DL's at least advocate for a belt on max attempts. Rip's cohorts say go belted on all work sets. I've heard plenty of arguments against using belts. But Rip makes some good points too.
Meager PR's and not so PR's this week, all with a belt.
Press: 145, new PR by 5lbs. I think I missed the sweet spot on picking the weight. Thought 145 would go easier than it did. After it inched up, I gave 155 a shot, but it stuck at my nose. Managed to do it in a push press, but that wasn't what I was testing.
Anyway.
Deadlift: 325. New PR by 10 lbs. Again, I think I miscalculated the weight choice. 325 went up pretty easy all things considered. Tried 345, couldn't get it past my knees. That was that. Looking back, I might have had 330-335 in the tank. I should probably test a little more frequently than once every six months so that I know what to expect.
Front Squat: Hit 195 for a single, full depth, good posture, clean grip. I felt good about that. I'm pretty proud about the depth and posture. I've been working on squatting well for over 2 years now, and I'm pleased that I'm finally achieving some modicum of technical proficiency with modest weights.
I warmed up with a 12" box which put me well below parallel and had my thighs just grazing the tip top of my calves. I was pretty strict about depth for the singles. After the warm up I did one at 165 followed by one at 195. I had 225 in mind for today. My previous best was 205, and my front squat has been feeling better and better lately. 195 felt pretty heavy. In retrospect, I should have probably just gone to 210 or 215. But I felt like I'd been too conservative and overdid the warmups all week, so I went for broke and put 225 onto it.
I'll meander a bit here: The gym has been really fun in the morning lately. The management has finally switched the radio from some god awful morning talk program to some station that at least plays music. Granted, it's commonly candy ass music. But I'd rather listen to Joni Mitchell than laugh tracks anyday. This has put the morning crew into a pretty good mood. Lot's of jokes about the music. Good times all around.
There were some choice tunes on the radio today. I had 225 loaded up and one of the big dudes said, "C'mon man, you don't get lifting tunes like this every day." It was totally devoid of testosterone...like Dido. I had to agree with him, and so I set up and went for it. Descent was good, full depth. Good stretch at the bottom and I started coming up quick. Just as I'm hitting a combination of a sticking point and mental defeat, "YMCA" blares through the speakers.
I threw in the towel and bailed. My right glute did not appreciate the PR attempt. I almost got through it, but I couldn't get my hips clear of parallel. Ah well, at least I went for the glory on one test this week.
Some of the guys came over and were lifting the barbell off of the pins to rack it again...telling me to go for it one more time. But my hips were done by that point, so I just stripped the bar and called it a day. I was happy for the camaraderie though. Everyone was hooting and hollering about YMCA and how the "song had fucked me up." One of the other big guys said, "Hey man, we all got our reps in. You can't blame the song." I do like my gym. When you're in there going for it, everyone seems to have your back.
So 2 meager PR's and one non-PR. I'm a little disappointed that they have only advanced a few pounds in 6 months. But I also haven't been eating a ton and I haven't been lifting heavy weights. I guess it's to be expected.
I'm contemplating a switch away from 5-3-1 to a Rippetoe-esque progression. Should make up the mind this weekend. I wouldn't mind giving the back squat another shot.
Might test the bench press tomorrow depending on whether I can find a decent spotter. Might also not.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment