Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wide Grip

I have to say I'm a fan of the snatch.

I know, I know. Sounds dirty. It really isn't.

My favorite lift historically has always been the deadlift. Call me crazy, but I find it immensely satisfying to very simply pick a heavy object up off of the floor. Lately, I've favored the sumo style and I've dabbled with a snatch grip. But in my heart of hearts, I'll always have some love for the way I learned it. It still feels the most solid.

That being said, there are two lifts that have always fascinated me in terms of their complexity and their overall benefit to one's strength/fitness/physique/state of mind/etc.

Those two lifts would be the snatch and the clean and jerk.

Presently, I can do neither of them in their full, glorious forms. I can do hang cleans/snatches and power cleans/snatches decently. But the low catch boggles my mind.

Will continue to work on it.

Yesterday was a focus on Snatch technique and the first time I've done any power snatches. They felt good.

Training Stuff, Wednesday 5/14/2008

After destroying my legs at the practice race on Tuesday, I focused on the upper body (mostly) on Wed.

2 x 30' on commuter

@ Gym

Warm Up/Mobility Work--focus on upper back, shoulders, and hips.

Hang Snatches (I've lost track of what the actual number of sets were. Total was somewhere around 10-12 including hang and power snatches)

2 x 10 @ 45#
1 x 10 @ 55#
2 x 6 @ 65#

Power Snatches (I used about a 6" platform to cheat the small weights up to a spot where my back was good with the wide grip)
1 x 5 @ 65#
1 x 3 @ 85#
1 x 3 @ 85#

My form/balance wasn't good so I backed off to 75#.
1 x 3 @ 75#

Still wasn't happy so I kept it at 65#.
3 x 5 @ 65#

Called it there

Push presses

1 x 10 @ 45#
1 x 10 @ 65#
2 x 3 @ 111#
1 x 2 @ 111#
2 x 6 @ 85#

Push Ups

3 x 15 w/~60' rest and stretching in between

Called it a night.

4 comments:

zdwyatt said...

The snatch is more than I can handle, even conceptually. But I am all over the clean and jerk. That's another one to add to the list of moves that makes the chicken-legged guys doing triceps rope pulldowns feel small.

Code name: 1% said...

heh heh. heh heh heh.

Jesse said...

I felt that way for a long time tRJ...and so I avoided it. But I have recently convinced myself that the Snatch might just be the best lift around.

With some advice from other kind folks that I've encountered via the interweb, I've spent the last six months or so *really* working on flexibility, hip mobility, and to be honest about it completely relearning how to squat using box squats.

I have made a lot of progress in the technique and form department with very light weights. Now, I am able to execute both front squats and overhead squats decently (something that I could never do before). This has convinced me that both the clean and jerk and the snatch with a proper low catch are possible. I still need some work on my depth, but it's getting there.

So I'm continuing to work on the full lift. I'll probably try to really work them into the rotation this fall when the cycling season is over. It's too much strain for me to try to lift heavy then ride hard right now...so I continue to just focus on dynamic work and technique. This fall, however, I'll probably build my entire routine up around the snatch, C&J, Deadlift (variations) and Squat (variations).

We'll see though. It's always a battle. To make a long story short: I started out doing Overhead Squats and hang snatches with a broomstick. They felt good, so I kept working on them. From the times we lifted together, I seem to remember you having some pretty good technique and mobility. I say go for it.

If you are interested in lifting together sometime this fall, lemme know. I've pretty much abandoned a lot of my old ideas about lifting and training and I'm looking to really put the new approach to the test in the fall. I've been lifting with Dr K a couple times a week. It's been nice to have another person around to spot form and the like. You'd also be more than welcome.

ces said...

Thoughts on the snatch