Things are good. Just busy.
I registered to vote today. Historically, I have been so wholly disgusted by both options here in our two party system, that I have not been able to stomach casting votes for either of them.
But for some reason, I feel different this year. Perhaps it's that our country is in the shitter and we need a serious changing of the guard cuz what we been doin' didn't work so well. Perhaps it's my age.
Perhaps it's that I finally feel as if I have a decent choice.
But anyway. This is not a political blog. This is a blog about riding bikes and lifting heavy things.
I raced this past weekend on the new CX rig. Strength is fine. Endurance is fine. Balls and bike handling are the limiter.
Who'd have thunk it?
Well, I moved up from 29th to 14th. And I was sitting in 7th-8th until the final (5th lap) when I bobbled a corner and then mis-shifted about the half way point of the lap. I was caught by a group of ~6-7 behind me. I stayed on their tail, then one kid attacked and gapped the group. He was gone. I bobbled another corner about a quarter mile from the finish line. Got gapped and came in 3 seconds behind the other 6 in the sprint. 8th to 14th in the blink of an eye.
I have to say it felt good trying to stay with the front of the race though. I went harder than I usually would knowing there was someone breathing down my neck all day. So hopefully things to continue to improve as the handling chops come around.
I have a lot of updates so I'll be brief.
Saturday, 10/4/08
Race
Sunday, 10/5/08
Sat out the race at Lapham. It was raining and I was behind on work stuff.
Went to the gym and made up my missed workout from Friday
Snatches from floor/standard height
5 x 3 @ 65, 65, 75, 75, 85
4 x 1 @ 90, 90, 100, 105
2 x 0 @ 110
Couldn't get it overhead.
Y-T-W's
4 x 4 @ 5#
Chin Ups
3 x 4 @ BW+20#, +30# +40#
1 x 2 @ BW +50#
That was a brute.
Pallof Presses
4 x 6-8 @ 60,70,80,80 (memory is hazy and I didn't write them down)
Ballistic Pushups
4 x 4 @ BW
Monday 10/6/08
Rest
Tuesday 10/7/08
Back Squats no box
1 x 5 @ 135
1 x 3 @ 165
1 x 3 @ 175
1 x 2 @ 195
My right hip joint was killing me at this point (I think all of the sitting/thesis writing coupled with neglecting my mobility drills of late has tightened things up). Wanted to go for 3 at 195 but couldn't. Wanted to go for a single at 225 for the last set, but that wasn't going to happen. I put 175 on the bar and managed a half squat and called it a day.
Barbell Rows
2 x 6 @ 145
Pull ups
2 x 4 @ BW +20
Renegade Rows
2 x 6 @ 25# DBS
These could have gone better. I need to work on the technique a little.
Bench Press
2 x 6 @ 135, 155
Wed, 10/8/2008
CX Practice
10 laps. 1 crash. 1 Banged up knee.
I was pushing it in corners and I saw Trevor Koss (who has been winning handily my races every weekend) catching up to me. I tried to keep him at bay and took it out of my comfort zone. I made some corners and I missed one. At least I tried to push it.
Thursday, 10/9/09
Assistance work at the gym, low volume
Good Mornings (Dropped the weight a little to make sure to go to through my max ROM)
2 x 6 @ 111
Bent Shrugs
2 x 6 @ 201
Pull Ups
2 x 4 @ BW+20, BW+30
Core circuit
2 x 30" Plank, 15/15 Bird Dogs, 30" Plank, 30" Mtn climbers
Bench Press
2 x 4 @ 165, 185
These felt solid and I'm actually enjoying bench pressing again. Elbow still intact. Woot woot.
****
Seeing this video and listening to it gives me chills right now. I caught a short glimpse of it on a TV program back in maybe 1997. I remember thinking: I've never heard anything like this before. I have to have it.
A song about a little guy. So began my romance with Tom Waits.
I haven't actually seen this video since then. I stumbled upon it tonight searching for Tom House videos. I didn't find any of those.
I remember trying to sort out my 19 year old head laying on the floor at the first apartment I ever lived in. There were 2 bedrooms and I shared it with 3 other people. I did my best to not go home on the weekends because I wanted to be an adult. I wanted to be on my own. And I desperately wanted to hang out with Jennifer Giles.
I remember trying to figure that all out. I remember laying on my back and listening to this song after I got a copy of Frank's Wild Years. (Never could stand that dog). Suffice it to say that a lot will happen in a decade. Suffice it to say that I never really figured it all out.
But despite all that, I'm happy to say that I still talk to Jenn. Her birthday was last week. And she and Tom Waits (and so many other things) always have a special place with me.
Here's to my twenties:
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nighthawks at the diner is still one of my favorite albums.
Looks like your numbers are going up really well, still feeling pretty heathy. great stuff!
Still feeling healthy, though last week was pretty tough volume wise. I can see that as I start to push myself on the weight, those high volume weeks are going to be a bear.
I've been really pleased with things coming up on the bench presses. I was amazed at the difference keeping everything tight, keeping the elbows tucked, and pulling the shoulder blades together made.
I feel like my squat is kind of stagnant, but I'll just keep at it. It was hard last workout given the cranky right hip joint. Just wasn't feeling it. Will do some light box squats to loosen everything up tonight, some more next week then give it hell on the next cycle.
Though after another round on this 5 week plan, I think my cross season will be over and I'll be looking to shift into total off season mode. At which point I'll probably come looking for some advice.
Nighthawks is a total classic. I always have it in rotation for the long drives because it's just good start to finish.
I've always wanted to drive around at the helm of a 1958 monkey shit brown Buick Super.
Post a Comment