Kept it in check this week. I got back on the horse with stretching and mobility work and did a whole bunch of various types of squats to try to free things up. I can get good depth in certain body positions, but not all of them.
JB, any thoughts on Olympic lifting shoes--they have heels and those guys tend to drop into full A2G squats with there torsos really upright at the drop of a hat. I find I can squat like that if and only if my heels are off the ground. Not that I have a problem keeping my heels on the ground--it's just 3/4" of elevation pivots things enough where my knees will come out over my toes and I can actually hit rock bottom.
Otherwise, squatting in Chucks I lean forward way to far. They are fine for just less than parallel box squats where I'm pushing my hips way back...but that method doesn't work for front squats or OH squats. You have to have an erect torso (or so it seems to me) through the squat.
Only way for me to do that is with some lift under my heels.
Thoughts?
In the real world, I'm in full thesis mode. I don't have any solid idea of when it'll be finished...and even after that I don't have any idea of when I'll be able to defend it, but I still have my fingers crossed that it'll all be over by January.
Monday
Off
Tuesday
RDL's 4x3 @ 185, 205, 225, 245
Barbell Rows 2 x 6 @ 135
Chin Ups 2 x 4, 2 @ BW +50, +60
Renegade Rows, 2 x 6 (each side) w/20#DBs
Bench Press, 2 x 6 @ 135, 155
Wednesday
Did some reading on high speed off road cornering on Mountain bikes. Put it into practice at Garner Park CX.
Worked better than my usual "roadie" cornering.
Lewis set up a brutal course. Made it out for 5 laps. 3 easy, 2 hard. Called it a night.
Thursday
Pull Throughs 2 x 6 @ 200
Bent Shrugs 2 x 6 @ 225
Pull Ups, WG 2 x 4, 3 @ BW + 10, 20
Side Bridges 2 x 45" each side
One arm DB press 2 x 6 @ 60, 70
Hadn't done the one arm db presses in a while. That 6 x 70# was a total ass kicker for me.
Also worked in a bunch of Box squats @ 111 starting at a high box, dropping to a low box. They all felt okay. I did one set of 3 free squats, same weight. My hip protested instantly.
Why would a box squat feel fine but not a regular squat?
Friday
Did split squats, front squats and OH squats using boxes and no boxes for a warmup.
Hang Snatches 3 x 3 @ 65, 85, 95
1 x 2 @ 95
Felt the elbow tweak a little and didn't go for the last rep.
Y-T-W's 2 x 6 @ 2.5#
Close grip pull ups 2 x 10 @ BW
Pallof Press 1 x 8 @ 70, 1 x 6 @ 80
Push Ups. 2 x 10 with strict form.
Race tomorrow. Hopefully it goes well.
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm not so big on lifting shoes. It's a band-aid solution. It allows you to get lower, but changes your center of gravity, which takes the emphasis off of your posterior chain and reinforces the motor patterns that are causing the mobility issues in the first place. Those guys have good hips, then put on lifting shoes, not the other way 'round.
Use the box squats as work along with deadlifts and the like, and use the oh squats to work on your mobility. Stretch your calves and Achilles, and wear flat shoes as much as possible in your regular life.
You're probably not pushing back as hard on your free squats as you are on the box. puts more stress on your hips.
Post a Comment