Busy Busy
Sunday, 9/28/2008
Weekend workouts finished up good. I skipped the Sunday race to finish up the build on the new CX rig and then I took it for a test spin.
5' @ warmup
32' @ LT pace building to HR 174-176
60' @ cool down
Apparently I ride nearly twice as fast at LT as I do at Cool Down pace. I was way the hell out on the training trail when I turned around and crawled home. That's the shitty thing about a 30' steady hard effort on an out and back.
But if it must be done it must be done. And I vastly prefer the trails to doing intervals on the highways: I never have 30' worth of uninterrupted road. But the trail just keeps going and going. I highly recommend the state trails for interval workouts. Sometimes you scare people out enjoying the scenery. But I'll take that over suffering in my apt on the rollers.
I felt good about this workout. The new bike feels great. Seems solid. It's got a couple of rattles and shakes I'm still trying to track down, but it went out to the CX practice course last night and outperformed the old MTB handily. We'll see if it helps me crack the top 20 this weekend. Baby steps.
Monday 9/29/2008
Rest
Tuesday 9/30/2008
V. high volume Heavy day at gym. Torture of choice: conventional deadlift
Warm Up with some light RDL's and potato sack squats.
Warm Up with a few light singles on the DL
2 x 1 @ 133
1 x 1 @ 153
1 x 1 @ 173
Then I let 'er rip to see where I'd end up. I pulled 243 sumo style two weeks ago and historically I've pulled a little more conventional with my best so far being ~288 back in January of this year.
2 x 1 @ 199
1 x 1 @ 209
2 x 1 @ 229
1 x 1 @ 239
1 x 1 @ 249
1 x 1 @ 265
1 x 1 @ 275
0 x 1 @ 285
My grip was failing at 265 and 275 but I got them up and locked out. Tried twice and couldn't get 285 off the floor. Still, pretty pleased with the workout. I've never pulled 300 before and I feel like it's not too far off, especially with a lot of time off the bike coming in the next few months. Again, we'll see where it goes.
That took awhile so I ended up with a kind of rushed remainder of my workout. Still felt good about it though
Bent rows
1 x 4 @ ~135
3 x 4 @ ~155
These were done on the Smith machine out of laziness and lack of an available power rack so the weights are estimates.
Super sets: Neutral Grip Pull Ups + Pallof Press
4 x 6 NG Pull Up + 8 Pallof Press each side @ 50, 60, 70, 50 (something tweaked a bit on the 70)
Weighted Push ups:
1 x 15 @ BW
1 x 15 @ BW + ~20# (backpack)
1 x 8 @ BW + ~50# (backpack loaded with weights)
1 x 6 @ BW + ~50# (same as above)
I rushed through these because I didn't feel good about stuffing weights into a backpack under the watchful gaze of the staff. But without a partner, it's really my only option for weighted pushups. And the flat benches permanently have someone on them, so I made do when pinched for time.
Wednesday 10/1/2008
Cross practice to shake down the new rig with the modified setup (I swapped out the cranks and chainrings and am now running 170mm cranks (non ideal but what I have) with a 40 tooth middle ring and a 46 tooth outer ring (again, I'd prefer maybe 36/46 but this is what I have).
Felt good. The bike handles really well in the tight stuff. I would have thought my MTB had the advantage there, but riding the CX bike now, that SSMTB seems rather truck like through tight sections. And the new tires hook up a little more confidently in the dirt and grass. I kept up with the mid pack Cat-3 racers fairly well during practice. We'll see if that translates to something decent this weekend.
Made it for a moderate volume workout of
2 easy laps
rest
2 hard laps
rest
4 hard laps
rest
ride home.
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Failure point for conventional deads should be above the floor. Could be a technical issue. Make sure you're rocking back on your heels more, and levering the weight off the floor instead of standing directly over it and squatting it up. Also make sure you're building pressure through the lift and not tugging it once and giving up. Think like a rocket blasting off.
Still that's good stuff you did 7 singles above 80% of your 1rm. That's pretty solid work.
Hmmm. Thanks for that commentary, JB.
It felt pretty solid. The 265 and 275 went up pretty well.
Yeah, I guess I'd always heard that sticking point on conventional should be off the floor, but I've always had trouble getting it started. My weight is definitely on my heels for the lift, but there is a good chance that when I get started, it's more on my toes. I think I tend to get my hips up pretty high and lean forward a little too much when it gets heavy.
What you're saying makes sense. I'll see if I can apply it consciously at some lighter weights and hopefully keep the technique solid next time I go heavy.
Post a Comment