Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hurt box

Week in 5/3/1

Bench Press

8 x 180

Still moving along.

Saturday Park Workout

I mentioned that I might have some time to do a write up on the construction of your very own Tupperbeast today. I haven't found the time to do that yet. But the day is but a fetus. We shall see.

Here's my recap of the park workout this Saturday. I'll preface by saying that it was a doozy. I had some anger issues to be resolved. What sort of anger issues? The sort of anger issues that arise upon the juxtaposition of a few simple tasks to tend to at the office and a fucking Badger football game.

I have nothing against football. I actually enjoy watching the game with friends and some light beers. However, large crowds of sports fans really get me riled up. My mind is consistently blown by the sight of grown men acting like complete idiots. Listen: You are not 20 anymore. You are not in the frat. Then, it was marginally acceptable to act like you are. Now, holy shit, I can't believe that I'm witnessing it.

Nothing makes me angrier--as I work on campus--than being accosted by throngs of people in red hoodies trying to sell me what should be free parking for $25 as I just try to get into my office to tend to maybe 90 minutes worth of work. Nothing. Not even people on mopeds. Maybe thieves. But it's close.

Anyway, enough ranting. Suffice to say that, after some phone calls to alert folks of the delays I'd encountered in getting into and out of the office, we set a meeting time of 11:00AM, which I was still 20 minutes late in hitting.

I had some anger to resolve. The workout reflected it.

I have to give some propers to Katie and Don. They have consistently hit pretty much every park workout to date and their fitness shows it. Don had to buy new pants this weekend because his old ones were falling off. And Katie, well, we'll tell her story herein.

Since we'd had some more time to wake up and have coffee on this day, I introduced Don and Katie to a few more coordinated exercises. Their posture in the squat and athletic stance gets a nod. They are keeping it tight and on their heels. The three new exercises were Man Makers, Turkish get ups, and swings. I think they were generally well received.

Warm Up

After tearing up our knuckles last week snatching canvas sandbags, we taped this week. It was a marked improvement. Then we did some dynamic stretching plus short Indian run style jog around the park just to get the heart rate up.

Work 1

"Man Makers"

After looking at a few variations of this exercise, I selected this version of the man maker. Not sure if it's a proper man maker, but I liked it b/c it suited the purpose of the workout well

1) Start in Push up position, sandbag above head on ground
2) Renegade row (1 rep each arm)
3) Push Up
4) Jump feet to between hands
5) Clean sandbag from ground to chest
6) Press Sandbag overhead
7) Walking Lunge Each leg, holding SB however you like

We did these for distance covering probably 80 - 100 yards. They got real hard, real fast. With her short stride and the pushup as the limiting exercise in the circuit, Katie won the burly award for the day by covering the full distance doing proper (not knee) push ups the entire distance. By the look on her face when she finished, I think she was probably in the market for a new man friend there for a minute, but she started talking to me again after a little rest.

My next move was to take the pushup ladder off of the agenda for the day.

Work 2

Super set

1) Inverted Rows
2) Runners on the jungle gym straps

I really like runners. They were supposed to be pushups but we changed the plan. I think they were a good prep for Work 3. They are harder than you would think.

Work 3

5 repeats all out 40 yard dash

There were 3 of us in a line. First person sprints to mark, jogs back. When they return, 2nd person sprints and first person goes to back of line. This gave sufficient rest b/w sprints. 5 all out efforts was about right. There are some very sore backsides today between this and the runners.

Work 4

There was an option of skipping this part of the workout. No one took it.

1) Sandbag swings (10 reps). Like a KB swing but took more skill to control the bag on the descents. Everyone got it down and looked safe doing it, so I felt okay about it.
2) Turkish Get Ups (2 reps each side). This was just an introduction to a complicated exercise and were done without weight. Look for more of them in the future.
3) Sandbag lift and Bear Hug Carry (80 yards) to sled.
4) Jog to start, pick up 2nd bag, bear hug carry to sled.
5) Backpedal with sled to start
6) Forward walk w/sled behind to far end of field
7) Unload your sandbags and return them to start one at a time.

Each stop that you made to pick up or drop off sandbags was punctuated with either 10 SB swings, 20 Mountain climbers, or 10 medicine ball slams depending on where you were.

Good circuit. For my money carrying and dragging things gives you a ton of bang for your buck. The Tupperbeast styled it again and was, as usual, murder to backpedal.

That was it. All told, after we got the cars unloaded and knuckles taped, the workout took about 75-90 minutes. I don't think I'm the only one having trouble moving today.

Still angry about those football fans.

No comments: