Sunday, November 8, 2009

Truisms from the playground

A rubbermaid lid makes a surprisingly effective dragging sled.

5/3/1

Bench Press 10 Reps @ 170

Still inching forward.

Park workout

Good stuff for a late day workout. Arrived around 3. Did about 20 minutes of warmup, dynamic stretching, unloading the cars, and got to the good stuff.

Warm Up 1: 2 cycles

Static Lunge (hip flexor stretch)
Lateral Squats (use straps for assist if you have bad hips and balance like me)
Downward Facing Dog
Deep Squats (drop into 3rd world squat w/support or heel lift as necessary to keep balance)

Katie and Don are much better at the 3rd world squat than I am. Course, most people are.

Work 1: Ladder

Air Squats
Burpees

Start at 10 reps work down to one rep. These sucked

Work 2: Ladder

Hang Snatch with sandbag
Mountain Climber

Same as above. Though I did 10 mountain climbers each round just because it gave me more of a rest from doing more sandbag snatches.

I like hang snatches with a barbell. I also really like kettlebell snatches. But hang snatches with a sandbag will fry your hands and turn your knuckles into hamburger. It's a good lift, I think. I like the idea of them. But the execution I'm not sure about. I think I prefer sandbag clean and press and I think I prefer to work from the floor rather than the hang (easier on the knuckles if you don't have to catch the bag on the way down).

I have to say those 2 ladders were pretty taxing on the whole system. After that, we dropped the ladder format (though I had one more on the schedule--Push ups and inverted rows) and wen into

Work 3: Suspension strap split squats @ Bodyweight

I really like these. We each did 3 sets of 10 each leg.

Work 4: Sleds and Pipes

We targeted strength/power this week with heavier loads, shorter distances and (at least initially) higher speeds. Everyone did 2 runs of the following:

Backpedal Sled Drag (40 yards)
Jog to start, Pick up slosh pipe
Carry 40 yards
Forward Facing Sled Drag (40 yards)
Jog to Slosh Pipe
Carry to Start

It was at this point that random onlookers started cheering for Cadwell. They approached us to ask about the slosh pipes. We let them take a run through the course. They were both moms, maybe in the 40 year old range. They seemed to enjoy it. Good stuff.

So far, the Tupperbeast feels perfectly at ease when loaded up to 160lbs. We haven't tested beyond this. I am a bit surprised that it is showing no signs of wear or deformation at all. I suppose when properly distributed, the load is below what the handle can take. A pleasant surprise. I don't expect it to hold up for years and years of abuse, but man, for a free dragging sled, it isn't too bad.

That was all for this week. Good workout. Took right at 90 minutes to get through everything from initial loosening up to moving the gear back to the cars. Shit got dislocated for sure.

No comments: