Saturday, March 20, 2010

Friday

Front Squat

5 x 155
3 x 175
2 x 195

Bench Press

5 x 160
3 x 180
4 x 200

An observation: I have been eating fairly clean for awhile. I was strict during something of a diet phase. Now, not so much stict but still eating clean. Not eating loads of carbs, trying to keep everything on the healthy side.

2 nights ago we were out of leftovers and I didn't feel much like cooking. So we ordered some pizza. I ate at least half of one and washed it down with half a bottle of wine.

Next morning at the gym I felt like goddamned he man for some reason. Hips didn't hurt. Warmed them up extensively. Squatted 195 for a half decent 2 reps.

The effect was noticeable. Not so much that I'm going to regularly incorporate a pizza bender the night before lifting. Just noticeable.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i've found for me during a muscle building phase of a workout cycle lots of carbs is actually a very good thing.
1. carbs are an energy source
2. you actually want an excess of calories b/c your body isn't going to make that muscle out of nothing so if you use all the calories you take in it doesn't matter how hard you hit it in the gym you've got nothing left to build muscle with.

note: those extra carbs aren't going to really be nice to your waste line so you don't want to eat that way for months on end, also pizza isn't the optimal carb source.

Jesse said...

Thanks for the commentary James. I probably am guilty of neglecting to take in enough carbohydrates at appropriate times to refuel from my workouts.

Though putting on size isn't really a goal for me, I think it would probably help out my recovery.

And thus continues the great experiment...