Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Brainscan

Good lifts yesterday

Sumo Deads

3 x 3 @ 199
2 x 2 @ 219
5 x 1 @ 229, 229, 239, 239, 249

Previous 1RM on sumos was 247. Set 10 @ 249 was tough but doable. That a new PR came on set 10 is probably indicative of something or other. I'll pull low volume on the next 4 week cycle and recheck my max.

I was having one issue with the lifts. I tried to sit back as much as I could and managed to have my weight balanced in roughly the center of my foot, but on most of the reps, I felt like as soon as I got the bar off the floor, I leaned forward just a bit. Perhaps this was my hips coming up faster than my upper body? I'm not sure. It didn't feel like the bar was moving up, just that I leaned forward (or perhaps my hips came up to give me more of a conventional deadlift body position?). Sumo is a new style for me. I'll keep practicing.

Chest supported Rows

4 x 4 @ 90,100,110,110 (not sure what the actual weight was, but this was the amount I had loaded onto the bar)

Pull Ups

4 x 6,6,6,5 @ BW

Renegade Rows

4 x 5/5 @ 20# DBS

Bench Press

3 x 4 @ 135, 155, 175
1 x 2 @ 205

I had high hopes for the Bench, but the 10 sets of deadlifts kind of wiped me out.

3 comments:

J.B. said...

oops commented on the wrong post.. see below.

Jesse said...

No worries man. I'll keep at it. The sumo deadlift is apparently yet another of those things where I know what I'm supposed to be doing but I can't manage to execute.

It's like I sit back on my heels to start but then I can't budge the bar that way so I lean. I guess I just need to really commit to "budging" the bar from the position.

Good to hear from you, man. I was wondering if you were still kicking.

J.B. said...

I was in a training class all last week, and work has been pretty busy. I'm around.