Friday, October 30, 2009

Front Squats

I only write this post to archive what might be the most effective front squat warm up I've tried to date.

Let me clarify effective: I was able to squat deep in Vibrams with good form (at least as far as I could tell via my body awareness, which could be lacking) and NO hip pain. It felt smooth and stable. I've been playing with various warm ups and stretching sequences for a few weeks now. I did a round of these yesterday morning after my workout. I did another few rounds this morning prior to my front squats. Granted, the fronts squats were light for the deload week; however, my light sets (the warm ups) are usually the most painful ones.

I found this to be effective at improving my hips almost at a step change from where they were a few weeks ago.

This is a combination of some of Gray Cook's corrective exercises and some mobility drills JB shared with me some time ago.

1) Foam rolling. I hit about 10 passes on every conceivable square inch of my legs and any soft tissue just above my hips. Frequently, I'll do 8 - 10 passes with the padding on the roller, then do 8 - 10 passes with the inner PVC pipe. I find doing foam rolling 4 times a week has made a difference

2) Static stretching and dynamic stretching. I stretch my hip flexors and hamstrings the most. For the hip flexors, I do various lunge/split squat type stretches. I do forward and lateral leg swings. One of the most painful movements for me at the hips is abduction on the right side (swinging my leg outward laterally). Foam rolling and sufficient stretching seems to help. One thing I'm digging right now is from Gray Cook. It's basically a toe touch with a med. ball or foam roller squeezed between your legs (just above the knee).


3) Lateral Squats. Of the mobility drills, these present the most problems for me, so I work on them most of all. Again, stiffness and pain similar to that noticed in abduction. I had sort of a lightning bolt/a ha moment yesterday. I've been doing these unsupported. I never make progress. I seem to be limited in my depth by my ability to sit back and keep my weight on my heel (mostly on the right side). My right hip stays tight week after week. Yesterday, I was playing around (good perks of an easy week) with my jungle gym straps and I started doing these lateral squats in an assisted fashion by looping the strap around something and then just holding onto the handle for balance. I was able to sit way back w/weight on the heels and off the toes. 1, 2, 3, 4 reps and my right hip went to some places that I never could get to comfortably before b/c of odd balance. Great stretching. This is probably the most beneficial variation of lateral squats that I have tried. I'm able to get my body into a deep lateral squat. Sure, maybe I'm not improving my balance as much by using the strap...but if hip tightness is keeping you from being able to move comfortably into a stable position...it seems best to find a workaround. For me, a stabilized squat with a full range of motion makes sense.

4) I took a heel lift sufficient for me (wearing flat soled vibrams) to sit comfortably in a thrid world squat. This is about 3/4" of lift. Then I found a board that was about 1.5 - 2" that I could comfortably move in and out of a deep squat while using it as a heel lift.

I did Goblet squats with a 16lb kettlebell on the ~2" board. Goblets are for me are the most forgiving b/c of where the weight is centered--I tend to fall back on a flat footed deep squat. A small weight in front of my chest keeps me planted. The weight is light, so it's not really a strenuous exercise. It's just enough that it keeps me in good form with my chest up and my back flat...and I can squat to the bottom.

I alternated b/w Goblets on the tall board and assisted lateral squats.

This loosened up my hips to the point that I was able to move onto a similar routine of Goblets on the 3/4" board. Felt great. Good balance, good depth, good form. Hopefully soon I can progress to doing them comfortably sans board and a 3/4" lift feels like a 2" lift.

5) Front Squats.

Again, light weight, deload week, not been repeated yet, grain of salt, yada yada yada. But these were the smoothest feeling front squats I've done to date.

Afterwards, I rounded it out with what's become my favorite routine on Front Squat Day

3 x 8 Good Mornings
3 x 8 Single Leg Glute Bridges

After that I called it a day. All told, I find this to be a pretty nice workout. Let's hope the hip and ankle improvements keep coming. Not that I have aspirations of Olympic lifting, but if I can front squat heavy and pain free, I would be oh so happy.

1 comment:

Code name: 1% said...

I'm looking forward to next weekend's park workout. I'd love to do a bunch of hip mobility stuff - mine are tight as well.

I think I also need to be more consistent with my foam roller usage.