5/3/1 Cycle 2, Week 1
Final sets
DL 12 @ 230
Military 17 @ 75
Front Squat 11 @ 135
Bench Press 10 @ 165
Assistance work was pretty routine. Glute Ham Raises, Rear Foot Suspended split squats, Dips @ BW + 5# (ran out of steam on sets 4 and 5).
Saturday Morning of 10/10/2009
Shit was broadly dislocated.
We had in attendance 5 hardy souls (Katie, Jenna, Don, Kelly, and myself). The workout had been designed for six as I was expecting Eric Finnin, who no showed.
It fucking snowed on us (Fucking October 10!), but we managed. Most of the workouts were light and circuit style just to keep us moving. By the end we were totally zapped.
Warm Up
Air Squats
Jumping Jacks
Ladder 10 to 1 reps. No rest.
Work 1 (2 or 3 people)
P1: Walking lunges (10 reps each leg) w/medicine ball overhead
P2: Push Ups (Do push ups until Person 1 finishes walking lunges)
P3: Glute Brides until walking lunges are finished
Cycle through each station, no rest until done.
Don and I did these together. I can only speak for myself, but this was way more difficult than it looks on paper. By the middle of the 2nd set of walking lunges, the 12lb medicine ball felt like an atlas stone. When I got to the pushups, I managed 5 or 6 proper. Next thing I know I'm doing knee pushups. Set 3, I had to alternate the lunges b/w ball overhead and ball at chest. Pushups were all on my knees.
My arms, traps, and shoulders were wholly fried. For me, this was a very humbling circuit w/ the overhead hold and pushups on top of each other.
Work 2 (2 or 3) people
Station 1: Planks
Station 2: Inverted rows on jungle gym straps
Station 3: Thrusters w/medicine ball
Pretty text book. Cycle through each station, do 10 reps at each. Person doing Planks finishes when last person of other 2 finish. Got the heart rate up a bit with the thrusters, but overall not as taxing as Work 1.
Work 3: Gauntlet
On a whim this morning, I improvised a sled out of a heavy duty lid from a bit rubbermaid container. Threaded a few slings through the handle and attached some chains. Piling sandbags onto it provided sufficient resistance. It was no good for pushing, but worked really well for dragging. The Gauntlet was centered around the sled. Also, Jenna brought a hula hoop and I couldn't resist throwing it into the circuit.
We called this one Beast of Burden.
Pick up 1st of two sandbags. Use weight of your choice. Options were numerous
Carry sandbag to end of soccer field (maybe 75 yards???)
Deposit sandbag on sled at far end of field.
5 Burpees
Sprint back to start
Carry 2nd of two sandbags to sled at far end of field. Load it onto sled.
5 Burpees
Drag sled backpedalling to start tree (75 yards?)
Drag sled back to far end of field with chain handles at chest, sled behind you, you walking forward (75 yards?)
5 burpees
Unload 1st sandbag and carry it back to start tree
Sprint back to sled
Unload 2nd sandbag and carry it back to start tree
Bear Crawl to Slosh Pipes
Hold for 30 - 60 seconds
Hula hoop for 60 seconds.
The long backpedal with the sled was tough. A very good circuit. Clocks in at 4ish minutes probably. I did a 2nd cycle with extra burpees in a few spots. All told good stuff.
Thanks for coming out. Weather is starting to get spotty. I'll try to talk to Ford this week about some indoor space. We'll meet outside as long as the weather cooperates, but it was a bit on the cold side for my taste today. I'll be more judicious in the future.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment