Monday, April 21, 2008

Bam!

What does it look like when 180 pounds of rider on 24 pounds of bike slams into a curb at 28 mph leading with a recently flat rear wheel?


I am kind of down on myself and angry for letting this happen. I felt the flat for a second, then forgot about it in the hard charging field. It was not so easy to ignore in the next corner where it slid out and left me helpless to do anything but minimize the damages to my body as the curb came up quick.

Note also the bent seatpost.

Needless to say, between the wheel damage and some extensive trauma to my left hand, I did not finish the race.


We won the time trial in the morning though. At least there's that.

Looks like I'm going to be laid up for an indefinite amount of time with the thumb/hand damage.

X-Rays and further analysis later today.

9 comments:

amy said...

Hey, you ok? Just checking on you:)

Jesse said...

I got some X-rays done last night--the doctor said "There is no *visible* fracture anywhere in the hand or wrist.

But she didn't believe that nothing was broken because of the amount of swelling/bruising. So she wanted to wait for a radiologist to read the X-rays and then have me go back for a follow up.

Best case, it's a bad sprain. Worst case, something has to be surgically repaired. Either case, my hand is useless for a little while as i have no opposeable thumb.

But in any event, "no visible fracture" is better than "visible fracture," right?

:(

amy said...

Ah buddy. So sorry. Hope no surgical intervention is needed and that you heal fast:(

Jesse said...

Well,

I talked to the Doc this morning. X-rays were definitively negative.

My thumb feels okay. the swelling is going down, and nothing is loose or unstable.

I'm going to go in Thursday for a checkup with my regular doc so he can asses the physical symptoms, but it looks like it was just a sprain of some sort.

Back on the bike in no time.

Dragonslayer said...

Glad the prognosis looks promising!

Code name: 1% said...

Yay! Take that, stupid curb. I will kick that very curb the next time I go past it, which is every time I have to teach class.

Jesse said...

Well, technically it's not the curb's fault that I was an idiot.

J.B. said...

That sucks! what's it going to cost to replace that wheel?
glad the hand is getting better.
Viva Deportes.

Jesse said...

A new rim of just the same model is on order right now--that's ~$60-70. I also had to buy 36 new spokes @ ~$30.

Some of them were probably reuseable, but after that kind of impact, I didn't really trust them.

The hub is a pretty stout piece of equipment and was fine. So I'll just rebuild the wheel for about 100 bucks.

In addition, the bent seatpost is ~$40...and my frame was knocked a little bit out of alignment. I don't know how much it'll cost to get that worked over by my connection at Revolution Cycles.

I'd gladly replace the frame in it's entirety if it meant I wasn't laid up with a bum hand though.

Thanks for the good wishes.