I got the Tarmac set up in a temporary operating state. Borrowed some parts from the original owner until my stuff comes in from the company.
It looks good, fits me well (though the geometry is very aggressive, it isn't uncomfortable), and should be a click up on the old performance ladder from the Soma.
Don't get me wrong: I really love the Soma and plan to log way, wayyyy more miles on it. But fully rigged, the Soma weighs about 23 lbs while the Tarmac is a heck of a lot stiffer and weighs about 17 lbs. I know, I know. 5 - 6lbs doesn't seem like much. But it should save me just a little bit of energy when the races inevitably steer toward those pesky inclines.
Less power losses on frame and system flex...and just less weight to pull up the hills in general. It won't be huge, but I can use all the help I can get out there.
I'm anxious to ride it. Already, I like the bar setup on it better than the "temporary" bars I put on the Soma in December. I think once I get the new bars for the Soma, I should be able to match the two geometries pretty well and pretty comfortably.
Onward
Tuesday, 4/15/2008
2 x 30' @ Recovery Pace
1 x 40' Flexibility/Core work at Yoga
LT intervals on Trainer: Goal power was 300W. Initial goal duration was 6 x 8' w/5' Recovery. I decided to up the power on the LT intervals a notch (from ~280) and cut the duration to accomodate the increased output. I think it worked out well. By the end of the 4th set, I was inching into the anaerobic territory but was able to back out and recover at ~280W. Good sign.
5 x 8' @ Threshold.
Average Power for the 8' set: 300, 295, 300, 295, 290
Gearings were 50:19, 50:19, 50:17, 50:17, 50:19
I'm still getting used to the idea of pushing a harder gear at a lower cadence. It's tougher on the muscles and the joints, but easier on the cardiovascular system. 50:17 was roughly at 95 rpm (a reasonable cadence), 50:19 was a good bit higher. On the last set, I dropped back to easier gearing after my knee twinged a bit. I couldn't hold 300 Watts at high cadence at that point in the workout, so I stopped after that set rather than go for a 6th.
Overall I'm happy with that. Goal for next week, 6 x 8'.
Wednesday, 4/16/2008
Super windy yesterday. I burned it out into a 10-20mph headwind straight south for an hour and forty-five minutes. My average pace was probably 11-12 mph and it took all of that long to make it the 20 miles to Belleville by the most direct route. Turned it around and had the wind at my back and made it back into town in about 50 minutes. Average speed for the second leg was probably around 23-24mph. Heh. Gotta love a tailwind.
I've been eschewing long, steady state endurance rides for a couple of reasons. Mostly, the lack of time to get out for a 3 hour spin. But also because I don't feel they are as beneficial in increasing strength and speed. Good for burning calories and getting your body used to being on the bike. Not so good for kicking up the burl.
But really, in the world of cycling, riding outside is what keeps you sane. Indoor work, though I find it to be highly effective, is mentally straining. I don't like doing outdoor interval work as much because of the hard to control factors. Headwinds, tailwinds, hills all dictate your output to an extent. Maybe I'll get better about it when I get a power meter for the bike. For the time being though, I'm going to stick with indoor "work" rides and outdoor "fun" rides.
And I could tell that I haven't been doing long rides lately. My body hurt. My ass hurt. And I was just generally tired afterwards. And hungry this morning. I suspect this end will improve as the weather and daylight continue to improve. I was out until 8 last night and barely needed lights for any of it.
All told, that was about 190' on the bike (with the ride back home from work). Add to that 30' from the morning long route and I feel okay about the endurance work for the day.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment