Monday, April 28, 2008

Perspective

It's funny the difference a week away from your normal routine can make.

Just after mentally committing to some R&R, I was frustrated and angry. A day after mentally committing to it, I was bored. Within 48 hours of mentally committing to it, my mind was moving one-thousand miles an hour to all of the projects that I've left idle. And those that were recently sprung on me.

The bikes, of course, took precedence among the pile of to-dos sitting in my basement and my bedroom.

I set up the new Tarmac and took it out for a test spin. Weird. It's light and stiff and all. But despite its fast looks, full carbon frame, and high end componentry, I didn't magically feel like Lance Armstrong when I hopped on and took it for a test spin around the hood. And I don't suppose I expected to. At least not that I'd ever admit to anyone. But somewhere...deep down inside...you might have a voice that says...if I just had the same level of gear these other guys had...if only...I wish I had a carbon bike.

Somewhere, you might think that it's the equipment and not the engine upon it that makes the difference.

And then you realize it's all in the legs. No matter what you're riding. I've seen way too many fat guys on 10,000 dollar bikes.

Opposite, indeed, of JB's perfect nutrition analogy of the dandy cowboy sitting atop a donkey. In the world of bicycles, I believe that if you're a tough enough cowboy, you can put that donkey across the line before all of the thoroughbreds.

But I digress. Despite not feeling like a completely transformed cyclist on the Tarmac, I think there will be a subtle difference (improvement) in climbing and accelerating, both of which are areas that I'll take a little boost in.

I also rebuilt my rear wheel, painfully and slowly lacing everything with a bum left hand. It's true and tensioned up to spec now. A minute or two of stress relief on it tonight, five minutes of final truing, and it's ready to roll. A beautiful wheel. I'm glad that I went again with the Velocity rim despite how it failed. It's not the rim's fault. Nothing could have survived that impact.

Funny how desperate I was for a new rear wheel only a week ago.

Now I have one and I'm not quite ready to use it yet.

After the weekend was upon me, it became apparent that I was now going to have to mentally un-commit from this new lifestyle. One of free time and projects. And go back to the bike. Back to training.

I gave my commuter rig some much needed TLC through the weekend, replacing the chain ring, chain, and rear cog for a new--albeit slightly stiffer gearing. That will likely change soon.

I sanded down bare patches where paint has been chipped through the abuse of bike racks and repeated spills in this winter's ice and snow. Rust patches formed. I did my best to get rid of them...and sealed everything with touch up paint. It'll do for now, but this fall I may look into getting the frame sandblasted and powdercoated.

Why? Why would I think of spending such a nice hunk of change on an old, beat up commuter.

Why not just drop 500 and get a brand new Pista?

It's the project bike. I always have an attachment to project bikes and have a tough time letting them die. And with the new set up, I have fallen for it wholly and all over again.

Saturday, the Super Death Bike 3000 was again reborn with a swank set of Nitto Albatross cruiser bars from my good friends at Revolution Cycles and a quick installation of a new rear brake caliper.

The old was not expected to make it through the winter. It was hanging by a thread.

With the assistance of DCSIV--or Don IV as he is familiarly known--and his handy drill press, we carved out a mount on the fork for a more modern style (and perhaps more pertinent, available in my basement) recessed mount front brake caliper.

Two new brakes, new cables and housing, a pair of sweet Nitto bars, and some nice, comfy grips to adorn the ends and I was good to go.

I took to the streets with Doctor 1% and felt alive. I never would have thought that the installation of upright cruiser bars would make such a difference. And not just in the bike's handling or comfort. More surprisingly was it's transcendence into my mood. I was having fun on a bike. Something I haven't done outside of a race in months. Training is drudgery and a means to an end. I must train if I'm going to enjoy the race. So it is a delayed reward. I deny myself satisfaction during the threshold work and the hill workouts so that I can feel the elation of bridging to a breakaway or possibly contesting the field sprint.

But sometimes that isn't enough. Sometimes I need instant gratification.

And that's what I felt on the SDB3k as me and the doc pedaled around the east side for coffee and a quick part swap at Revolution.

I no longer cared about the super commuters or bike path warriors. Let them pass you--the bullhorns are gone.

It's hard to take riding seriously on the Albatross.

And I guess that's what I needed at this point.

Training stuff

Back to training this week.

As previously planned--I'll be upping the volume maybe 15% and keeping the intensity fairly high on the bike. I don't think the increased volume will be a problem because of a) nicer weather b) increased daylight and c) less travel on the weekends now that collegiate season is over.

I'm going to try to keep it to one race and (maybe) one time trial on the weekends. It's still a long year and I don't need to burn it out.

Additionally, the past 3 weeks have been super hectic with work and travel. The weight room has been neglected. I worked too hard on the hip mobility this year to let that regress. Back to the bar this week.

1 comment:

J.B. said...

Nothing like a little distance to help you see why you got into this to begin with.
Welcome back.