Monday, August 11, 2008
Squats (Back, No Box)
1 x 3 @ 135
1 x 3 @ 155
6 x 3 @ 175
I started these on 90" rest and had to go to 120" after ~set 4-5. I'm still sort of finding the "right" weight for multiple low rep sets. 175 was OK. I had to grind out the last rep on set 8 so I figure it was about where I needed to be.
I've been pretty much only doing box squats for the past few months and the free squats felt a little strange. I don't think I was getting quite the depth I normally hit with a box, but they looked okay and felt decently solid.
Pull Ups, wide-ish overhand grip 4 x 4 @ BW
Bench Press
1 x 4 @ 135
3 x 4 @ 145
Could probably nudge this up again for next week. I have had problems with a "pinched nerve" in my elbow in the past that causes a bolt of electricity to run down my forearm when bench pressing. So for a few years now, I have avoided this exercise and opted instead for push ups which don't tend to cause the problem. I have been paying close attention to my grip and I haven't had it happen lately. But it feels like it still might. So we'll keep an eye on it. I've been meaning to put this lift back in the lineup.
Pallof Press 3 x 8 @ 50lbs
These felt better at 40.
Bent Rows: 4 x 4 @ 131
I hadn't ever been in the low rep mindset for things like Rows in the past. I've been pushing these and the 1 arm DB rows heavier and heavier each week to try to find a good weight. This was about right for a me in a 4 rep set.
My upper body--which I typically neglect--is definitely feeling the effects of this new routine most.
My left IT band and glute were super tight after squatting, so I did quite a bit of stretching before I left the gym last night, and I rolled around on the foam and a tennis ball this morning. Then I did a super chill 45' commute on my road bike during which I got dropped by some geriatrics on hybrids.
My legs feel alright now. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(176)
-
▼
August
(19)
- The hits just keep on coming
- Roman Beans
- Crack that whip
- Cheeky Bastard
- Father forgive us for what we must do
- Evolution
- Despite how hectic and chaotic yesterday was with ...
- You turned into a sacred cow
- Corporate accounts payable. Nina speaking. Just ...
- Off road
- Have Mercy
- I like the Christian life
- Don King, where you at?
- Last I heard, he was in Guam with a Venerial Disease
- I ache in the places where I used to play
- Cherry chapstick
- Like it's hot.
- She knows my name, but she calls me "Ginger."
- And now with 40% more plan!
-
▼
August
(19)
4 comments:
try working over the IT band, glutes, and hip flexors with the foam roller/tennis ball before lifting. It'll help.
Also Make sure you're keeping your elbows tucked tight to your body on the bench. That will take some of the strain off of them.
all in all good stuff.
I'm trying to get into the mode of hitting the foam roller when I get up and then lifting straight away in the morning. I'm not a CES style early riser, so this has proven difficult. Perhaps I'll just leave the foam roller at work and drag it to the gym with me from there...
As for the bench: If I understand correctly, tucking my elbows to my body (rotating toward my navel) will necessarily mean a narrower grip (if I am understanding how to keep my elbows tucked in on a bench press).
I have definitely not been doing this in the past and the elbow is surely the problem area for me.
Me either, that's why I take the lax ball with me and use it if I'm going to a gym without a foam roller. A medicine ball also works in a pinch.
not exactly, watch this video of ec benching:
http://www.youtube.com/v/AVitKJlBIV0&hl=en&fs=1
pushing the elbows out can put a lot of stress on them, keeping them tight lets everything work together as a system.
If it works for Cressey, it works for me.
I'll give it a shot and see if it helps with this long standing nerve issue.
Post a Comment