Monday, August 11, 2008

Like it's hot.

I normally don't have a lot of use for the Smith machine, but the other day during my warmup, I was using the bar to do some deep squat stretches. I found that I was able to get into a very deep squat position this way with a solid back. This intrigued me as I have never been able to do this in any other form of squat.

So I racked the bar for a front squat and dropped down into it. I was able to squat ass to grass like this with pretty solid form (no back rounding, minimal butt tucking under, etc, etc.) despite never having been able to do this even when front squatting with a broomstick or doing air squats.

It would appear that as long as I can hold onto something to support myself, I can keep my torso very upright and squat deep with good form. My hip joints seem compliant and will work for me through this range of motion. Once I lose the supporting structure (in this case, the smith machine) I can no longer do this. I lean forward too much to maintain my balance, my butt tucks under. I can't keep my chest upright.

Where does this point for a source of the problem? It seems that I could squat to the ground if I could just keep my torso upright. But if I try to do this without the Smith Machine, I will fall backwards. Is my Balance the only problem? Core strength? Those are the two things I can think of that I'm taking out of the equation by using the Smith Machine. I'm not saying that my hip mobility is perfect--I have to warm up to getting into that deep position quite a bit and it's taken almost a year's worth of work at this point. And even then, I wouldn't exactly describe that deep position as "pleasant."

But, I had neglected to consider anything other hip mobility as the source of my difficulties in squatting with good form. As always, anyone with any thoughts on the matter--sources of the problem and/or how to improve it, feel free to share. Also, anyone with some thoughts on how to improvise a station for glute hams and for reverse hypers with standard gym equipment, lay it on me.

I *officially* kick off the new and improved training plan today, though I spent the 2nd half of last week transitioning into it. I am especially happy with two things so far:

1) The reduced time on the bicycle has given me more free time
2) JB suggested quite a few lifts and variation that I normally wasn't doing. They are quite good. Thus far I am a huge fan of the 1 Arm DB presses.

Now, to fire up the log again.

Thursday August 7, 2008

Warm Up w/OHS and mobility circuit @ BW.
Good Mornings 4x4 @ 111#
Bent Barbell Rows 4x4 @ 111#
Pull Ups 3 x 4 @ BW
Pallof Press 3 x 10 @ 40#
1 Arm DB Press 4 x 5 @ 55#
Mountain Climbers 3 x 45"

Believe it or not, I had never done a Good morning before last Thursday. I knew how to do them, but I never did them. I like them quite a bit. The Pallof Press was also new. I am unsure if I was doing it completely correctly. I'll likely not do them on the same day as the 1 arm DB presses again, but a quality lift.

Friday August 8, 2008
(Hang) Snatches 5 x 3 @ 65#
1 Arm DB Row 5 x 5 @ 55#
Pull Ups 4 x 4
1 Arm DB static hold 3 x @ 15#
Ballistic Push Ups 4 x 4 + Mountain Climbers 3 x 45"

Snatches are feeling solid. Working on transitioning to floor snatches. Will probably stick with Power snatch over Squat Snatch for the time being though.

Sunday August 10, 2008

On Rollers

2 x 10' @ LT
1 x 6' @ LT

3 comments:

J.B. said...

If you're falling backwards, but have (mostly) enough mobility to squat, that means your posterior chain (low back, glutes, hammys) is weak. Could also be core strength, but that usually manefests as falling forward.

Pallof presses, should really only feel the resistance in your core as you resist the handle trying to rotate your body. the "pressing" part of is just lengthens and shortens the lever arm.

Pallof press to 1a DB press is tough stuff. I'd put them on different w/o days.

dumbell static holds should be heavier than that, lets make sure I'm communicating the correct exercise: simply grab 1 dumbell like a briefcase while standing and keep yourself square (if you really want a challange you can walk around the gym, but people will stare), I do these with a 120 lb dumbell, I assume I am not 10x stronger than you.

Everything else seems good.
How are you feeling?

Jesse said...

Durrrr. I was holding the DB out at arms length thinking "shoulder exercise."

No wonder I heard folk mention the 1 Arm DB Static hold was a grip exercise.

I thought it felt like torture with a 15 and was about to sign a 5 pounder out from the desk. Nothing like looking completely retarded every now and again, no?

And I was thinking the same about the Pallof Press and 1 Arm DB press. After I finished I said "I'm never doing those on the same day again."

Thanks for the diagnosis on the squats. I'd certainly believe a weak posterior chain. If that is the case, adding the lifts from your assistance day routine should help things out tremendously.

In light of that, would RDL's perhaps be a better heavy day choice than Deadlifts? Or should I just hit the GMS and glute/hams hard on assistance day?

Everything else is great. I feel like it is hitting all of the areas that I tend to slack on. Will keep you posted through the high volume weeks.

J.B. said...

It happens.
I'll take part of the blame. I won't tell if you wont.

exercise selection on the "heavy" day should be something you are familiar enough with to move some substantial weight, but should still emphasize your weak points.

THe assistance day should be a day to work on some technique and "get some reps in." The heavy day you should go home starving and needing a nap.

No problem, thanks for the feedback.
keep me posted on your progress.