Thursday, September 18, 2008

Case of the Mondays

And it's freaking Thursday.

Monday 9/15/2008

Warmup, mobility circuit and sumo deads at 3 x 3 @ 111, 131, 131

Sumo Deads (I forgot my planner, so this is from memory but the weights and reps were pretty close to)
1 x 3 @ 161
1 x 3 @ 177
1 x 3 @ 187
1 x 3 @ 197
1 x 3 @ 207
1 x 1 @ 219
1 x 1 @ 234
1 x 1 @ 243

Fairly clean on all of them. The triple @ 207 was kind of hard for me as was the single at 243. I haven't ever pushed it at all on sumo style and it was a bit different. I've only ever played with sumo deads at weights that I knew I could lift easily. So this was exploratory for me. It was tougher to get it off the floor this way and I found myself wanting to have my hips higher and lean forward more rather than sit back and down more at the initial part of the lift (presumably because that's what I'd do on a conventional lift). Anyway, like I said. Felt pretty good. Definitely more leg involvement on the sumos. Will keep at it.

Then the usual:

Bent Shrugs
4 x 4 @ 165, 185, 195, 205

Pull Ups, Neutral Grip
3 x 4,3,2 @ BW + 20, 30, 40

Pallof Press
3 x 6 each side @ 60#

Bench Press
3 x 4 @ 135, 145, 155
1 x 3 @ 165 (missed the last one)

Even my typically neglected bench press is coming up. I have been watching the elbows and haven't noticed the pinched nerve *yet.* Hopefully it stays out of the way.

Tuesday, 9/16/2008

Off

Wednesday, 9/17/2008

Went to cross practice with a bigger gear (38:16) on yesterday. I was still spun out quite a big on the open sections. But the gear is really just a tad steep for hills and tech sections. Curse of the single speed, no doubt.

I will say that I was happy with two things from practice.

1.) I was getting fully aerial on my remounts. Both feet off the ground, caution to the wind. I think the MTB being lower to the ground is hurting me here because when I lift off I always crash a long way down onto the seat. Baby steps.

2.) I ran low pressure in my tires and took the corners at full tilt. I got a tip from my friend Brent to go into tight turns wide and apex really late. The low pressure hooked up pretty well on the hard turns and I felt good/better about moving quickly through the tight stuff.

Now, that all being said, I also flatted on the front (pinched on a root or something, likely due to my low pressure) and slid out hard into the dirt on the next corner. But that is the nature of the beast.

Made it 5 full laps and flatted on the 6th. Laps 1-4 sucked. Then things started to feel better. Then I flatted, ate shit, and limped home. All in a days work.

2 comments:

J.B. said...

Sumo is always heavier off the floor. work on building pressure, pushing your feet through the floor instead of tugging the weight up. that will help you keep your hips back and shoulders over the bar.

I am glad the elbows are holding up.
The weights seem to be creeping up on all of your lifts (which is great) keep us posted on the PRs.

Jesse said...

I'm kind of stoked about this off season. I like where things are headed right now. I'm squatting more than I was last winter already and my deadlift has almost caught up with my best 1 rep lift yet. And it's only September.

Hopefully I can hold it all together when the shit inevitably hits the fan for that grand ole thesis defense. Whenever that might be.