Thursday, September 18, 2008

Plans

An update before I get too far behind on my logs:

Last week went as I needed it too. Finished it out pretty easy and low volume both at the gym and on the bike. I went through the usual sessions, just at a reduced volume and intensity.

Sunday afternoon, I revamped my 5 week cycle just a touch. I found that after Monday's heavy work, I never felt like doing an easy ride on Tuesday. I also felt like if I did get a spin in, I was pretty burnt at cross practice on Wednesday. Tuesday is now off completely. Also, I'm going to modulate both intensity and volume on the bike a little better this go round. If I have a high volume week on the bike, I'll do long, Steady state LT intervals say (3-4 x 15' @ 280W). If I have a low volume week on the bike, I'll keep the interval duration low and make the output higher--say (4-6 x 6' @ 310W).

Switched LT work to Sunday and I'm making Saturday a high output anaerobic day. I'll mirror the same as above on anaerobic workdays. If it's a low volume week on the bike, I'll do 2 x 4' tabata. If it's a high volume week on the bike, I'll do 4-6 x 1-3' @ some super-LT output (maybe 325-400W depending on duration of interval).

I liked JB's weight room schedule and the way I worked it into the normal cycling routine. I'm going to keep it the same: Heavy Monday, Assistance Thursday, and Speed Friday.

Going to make a go at pushing up the poundage at the gym. As of yet, I'm still lifting pretty light by lifting standards and I'd like to see the numbers get up there by the start of next season.

On paper at least, it should happen.

Also, cross racing locally starts next weekend. So depending on time and money, I may sub races for my weekend workouts.

Oh: And I bought a new cross frame this week. Should be in tomorrow. It was the cheapest one I could find...and I'm going to equip it with leftovers from the glory days of THE GIANT, but it should hold up for a race season.

JB, in my scouring of the interweb for a cheap cross frame, I came across the Redline conquest at with many a website. Most of them are going for 500 just for the frame/fork. Again, you got yourself a heck of a deal.

1 comment:

J.B. said...

Woohoo!

Plan seems solid. You may be able to work in some tuesday as your capacity increases. Email or blog any questions/comments/considerations.

good stuff.