I dig in my heels.
Still on the ropes with the new job and trying to wrap up the thesis. Suffice it to say for now that things are moving in as right of a direction as I can manage them.
Weekends workouts were bitches and I was a hurting unit come Monday morning.
Saturday, 9/6/2008
LT steady state
1 x 10' Warmup
1 x 30' @ Threshold Output (probably ~270-280 Watts average. I'm without a power meter and relying solely on the seemingly unreliable heart rate).
My goal HR for this 30' set was 174, but after about 12-15 minutes it started creeping up steadily until by the end, if I lost focus and tensed up, it was hard to keep it under 182. I'm going to blame this on the stagnant air inside and an increased body temperature as I usually don't see my HR creep up like this when doing long efforts outdoors. It's starting to cool off so I hope that helps. Otherwise, I'll just have to get another box fan on me.
It's funny though, despite the high heart rate, I kept a steady output and never got winded. By the end my legs were tired, but it was wholly do-able and I *think* I could muster a full hour at that output in a race type situation. This is about where I want to be for cyclocross this fall, so I'm going to say that my muscle endurance is probably as good as it can be.
I need to start pushing up the power again, methinks.
In that vein of thought:
Sunday 9/7/2008
4 x 3' Anaerobic Intervals off road on the single speed.
Short and (probably a little too) hard. This being a high volume week, I initially conceived this workout to be an 8 x 3' @ Redline effort, but it became apparent 2/3 of the way through the first interval that 8 was absolutely out of the question. I briefly thought about 6 x 3'. But mid way through the 2nd interval, that turned into 4 x 3'. I am fairly certain that the only reason I managed intervals 3 and 4 was that it was an out and back route down one long path. If I'd had a bail out option, I'd have probably called it at 2.
Looks like I know where the work is.
My legs were trashed this morning.
But with that moderately high volume, high intensity bike week, I ended the first 4 week cycle on the (only slightly) modified JBZero off season training plan. This week is a welcome low/low week for both bikes and weights. I am ready.
Monday 9/8/2008
Took advantage of the reduced load to work on my Overhead Squats
OHS
2 x 3 @ 65#
2 x 3 @ 75#
Legs felt fine. Balance and upper body is the limiter, which is probably to be expected on the OHS.
Y-T-W
2 x 6 @ 2.5#
I think the 5# weights are soon going to be a reality
Pull Ups, Wide Overhand
2 x 4 @ BW
Pallof Press
1 x 6 @ 50
1 x 6 @ 60
Face Pulls
3 x 8 @ 50, 60, 70
Bench Press
2 x 6 @ 65# DBs
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How did the cycle go?
Are you going to do any strength testing?
I thought it went very well. I felt like the weight room schedule did a great job of covering all of the bases while still allowing me to keep up some intensity work on the bike.
I feel like both my fitness and strength have improved over the last month and I'm really, really not missing 3 hour bike workouts in the slightest.
I'll probably hold off on doing strength testing until the end of the next cycle. I still feel like I'm adjusting to lifting on the heavy side of things, and I've yet to do any legitimate work with singles during my workouts.
Probably next cycle, I'll do some heavy one rep lifts to get my body used to it, and then assess my numbers at the end of the next 4 week rotation.
On top of that, I'm just plain tuckered out this week and I want to recuperate sufficiently to give it hell again starting next week.
But yeah--it's worked very well, I think. I cut my body weight down and my strength is definitely coming up. I'm shooting to be as light and strong as I can be for next year, so it's definitely got things going in the right direction.
That's great.
I am glad to hear that it all worked out for you.
keep me up to date, and email me with any questions you have.
Post a Comment