Thursday, December 17, 2009

Logging logging logging

Feeling more normal today.

Gave myself a preview of the next training rotation today working in Zercher Squat assistance to a (give or take) 13 - 14" box which put my femurs just on the downward side of parallel.

This was my first time doing Zercher squats with some form of loaded barbell. I have to say, I'm a fan. I've been intrigued by them since I first recall CES writing about them. I supposed I viewed them as an odd strongman lift that was more niche than front or back squats. So though I was intrigued, I never really made time for the lift.

Now having done them with a comparable load to my front squat, I think I'd maybe even change my stance to say that front/back barbell squats are more niche than the Zercher squat.

JB mentioned to me that "it's much harder to Zercher squat poorly." This is a good way to put it. Other than holding the bar in the crook of your arm (the fat bar made this much easier), it feels like a natural way to squat.

I employed a tap and go method off the box rather than letting the box take the load for a second. I think we'll stick with this for the next few cycles. Does it look goofy? A bit. But I like having the box there. Something about it really gets your hips back and the weight on your heels.

I might just start doing my front squats touch and go to a box, but I'm not sure I'm man enough to stay that honest on the hard reps.

Today: Front Squats

5 x 135
3 x 150
6 x 170

Last rep at 170 was a grinder, but this is comparable to 6 x 165 a month ago. Feeling better about things.

Assistance work:

Zercher Squat to standard box with 2 extra pieces of wood on it.
3 x 8 @ 80, 90, 100

Pull Throughs
3 x 8 @ 150, 170, 190

Pallof Press
3 x 3 reps w/10 second hold @ 50#

I was finishing up and a morning regular asked me how I was doing. I said, "Ah, the usual. Feeling OK." He said, "No Aches and Pains?" I said, "Well...sure..." I saw another regular (big guy, bodybuilder) nodding.

Then the guy said something about having 30 years on me. I said, "Bullshit, man, no way you have 30 years on me." He said, "Bet I do." I say, "You're 60?" He says, "62." The bodybuilder laughed and confirmed.

I'll be damned. The guy looks good!

1 comment:

Code name: 1% said...

That's what clean living and liberal sunscreen use will get ya.

Also, he probably has a sweet, older ladyfriend. Makes for the good life.