Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saturday

Good finish to the week.

5/3/1

Front Squats: 11 x 150
Bench: 10 x 170

Saturday:

Katie and I managed to hook up with JB who was in town from Seattle for the weekend. I'd love a week or two to train at the gym with JB, but time constraints being what they are, we settled for a little deadlift feedback and coaching. Katie pulled for the first time in over a year and pushed it to find an upper limit, which was cool to see. I was happy to hear that my perception of a safe deadlift that I tried to communicate to Katie was pretty generally correct and with a little prompting on foot position from John, she had a textbook sumo deadlift down. I have some deadlifting inefficiencies to address, but I was glad to hear that we weren't overly endangering our backs and bodies.

There is so much misinformation around the gym and I've never been able to lift with someone that I trust, so it was a productive though regrettably short session. Ironically, the gent who spouted DL cues a couple weeks ago was set up immediately adjacent to us doing box squats during our DL time. Full circle.

Hopefully I'll be able to put some of JB's suggestions into practice and see what happens. If only we'd had an afternoon or three to untangle my squat issues....

Thanks for generously sharing your limited gym time, JB. It meant a lot to both of us.

Afterwards, we left JB to his prescribed work for the day and hit the park for a cold session wherein everyone felt a little rough. It was a good workout, but the stomachs were unsettled.

Warm Up

2 x Through no rest

Jump Rope x 50 reps
Mountain Climber
High Knees
Jumping Jacks

Jump Rope was the timer and we rotated stations.

Work I: Sandbag Complex

2 x Through on about 90 seconds rest

10 x Clean and Press
20 x Reverse Lunge (10 each leg)
10 x Good Morning
10 x Bent Row
10 x Romanian Deadlift

Work II: Circuits

Group I:

P1: Sled Drag (40 yards)
P2: Jump Rope

Same as Ligonberry Pancakes circuit last week. Each person did 4 drags and 4 jump rope sessions. 5 - 6 minutes of high effort.

Group II:

3 stations:

Push Ups
Inverted Rows on Straps
Box Jumps to ~20ish" box

Each person does 10 reps of each and cycles through 3 times no rest.

Groups I and II switched and we went home.

Heading out in a minute to catch the Brooks brothers out on the town.

No comments: