Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Burning

The "Build" phase of training is here. I am done with base miles.

Time to ramp up the intensity. Hopefully this will help with the problems I had during last weekend's races.

Made my first go at sustained threshold efforts yesterday on the trainer. It hurt a bit.

Tuesday, 3/11/2008

2 x 30' @ Easy pace on commuter
1 x 40' Flexibility/Core work @ yoga class

LT intervals

1 x 10' @ Warmup, ramping to tempo HR, 275 Watts
1 x 5' @ Cool Down, HR ~ 120, 150 Watts
3 x 8' @ LT Power, building to LTHR= 174 (my heart rate was between 174 and 177 during the last 6' of the intervals). Average power was 314, 300, 284.
2 x 5' @ Cool Down between set 1 and 2 and set 2 and 3.
1 x 10' @ Cool Down after set 3.

It got to be a real bitch keeping the power up during the last one, despite the high heart rate. 2 x 8' or 3 x 6' probably would have been a better set.

I'll go ahead and call the LT power 300 Watts for now. About what I expected and a little improvement over the 275 from January. That's what I'll shoot for during LT intervals as it seems to be an output that I can hold for the duration of the set and my heart rate gets into the right zone by the end of the work interval. 315 was too hard and likely was responsible for me being cooked during set 3.

It was only an hour on the bike, but I was cooked. I picked up a six pack and went over to the Doc's house for some Lost.

I got myself a leeeetle tipsy.

It happens.

1 comment:

Code name: 1% said...

Haa ha ha, a leeetle tipsy indeed.

Yoga was awesome this morning, but Pilates was holy shit rough. My core hurts. Be glad you slept in.