Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sprung

I can hardly contain my excitement at the arrival of relatively warm weather and the abatement of the icy grip that has been upon Madison since December.

Sure, with it come some drawbacks. Like the re-introduction of the super commuter into the ecosystem.

I hate super commuters. With panniers, spandex shorts, reflective tape, a safety vest over a t-shirt tucked into spandex, a helmet or not, excessive lighting, platform pedals, possibly some flags, and one mission in life: To catch up to and drop everyone on a bike that stands between home and work. They will ignore the laws of traffic. And basic guidelines of safety and common sense. Running through uncontrolled intersections without a glance in either direction. Making chancy moves to beat cars. Or trains. Or the occasional wayward polar bear. It matters not as long as they arrive at their destination before you do.

Nevermind that you're riding a beach cruiser in blue jeans. You're a target. You'll hear their clunky drive train. Or their front racks as the half a dozen books they are returning to the library shuffle about over the newly uncovered pot holes. You'll hear their labored breathing as they give it with some superthreshold riding for the forty seconds until the next red light--at which point they will pause, coast, and then proceed to run it.

Hammer. Hammer. Hammer.

I see a guy up the road on a tricycle. He must pay for how slowly he is riding.

Why do I hate them?

It's no business of mine how you choose to ride to work.

But the racer in me knows the look in their eyes. They aren't commuting. They are competing. With people who aren't competing.

It's shooting fish in a barrel. Sandbaggery.

It is agression and I don't like it on the street.

They are a danger to themselves and an annoyance to me as my competitive side responds and makes a go at dumping them as they try to latch onto my wheel.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes you get your ass handed to you by a guy on a 50 pound mountain bike.

But spring is here. And the super commuters have returned.

2 comments:

Code name: 1% said...

I got blown by this morning by a supercommuter where 1st crosses Wash. I was sitting at a red light and the instant it turned green he zipped past me fast and I swear his sleeve brushed mine as he squeezed between me and the car on my left that was also starting to go.

That was so fucking stupid. He didn't know if I was going to stick a foot out or almost fall over as I started from my standstill (with me, the odds are pretty good). He didn't call out "on your left". He nearly got his ass dumped into that car and it wouldn't have been my fault but I would have felt bad anyway.

Then, he apparently made it to work 2 blocks later, all of 20 ft. ahead of me. Glad his dipshit efforts got him there so much faster.

Jesse said...

I was glad to see thatMark Lalonde, feels the same way that I do.

This means I'm not crazy. There are super commuters. They are out to get me. And they have just returned.