Yesterday was the most enjoyable ride I've had in quite awhile.
Took an old route out of town that I used to use when I lived on the west side. I did this because the convenient way out of town from campus is now closed (or at least under construction enough to be not so friendly to a road bike).
I really enjoyed it. Seminole Highway (the usual "convenient" route) is always choked with riders. Random riders always want to race each other. This doesn't factor into my usual day's agenda on the bike. And so I try to ignore them. But it makes for an unduly stressful ride.
While everyone else scrambled for a detour that could get them to the crowded places, I headed north and west with JC for some rolling hills and sunshine.
By far the best ride I've had in awhile. Looks like I found myself a "new" Wednesday night road route.
We got about 3 hours and change in the saddle with some steep climbs and a couple of hard efforts pacelining.
Jolly good fun.
On the race front, I think I'll do both the Sheboygan Crit and the Giro d' Grafton this year.
I'm not having a lot of luck with my "place top 5 in a few races so they'll upgrade you" plan. So I'm going to have to go with the backup "hey look I did like 40 races this year so upgrade me" plan.
I'm growing increasingly frustrated with feeling like I have put in the time and developed the strength and speed on the bike to win a race yet being unable during the race to win the race--or even pull a top 5.
Last season the source of the blame was easy: Fitness. I was in decent endurance shape but piss poor race shape. No snap. No top end. And as such, I got dropped in about 90% of the races I did.
This winter, I worked hard to get stronger and now the fitness is there. Granted, my finishes have improved tremendously (from not finishing to being generally in the vicinity of the top 10) but still. I'm having a harder time this year identifying where it is I'm falling short. If it's not in the legs then where is it?
Likely in the brain. Chances must be taken. And I don't always take them. I yield to riders that do. In the self preservation scheme of things, this is a good trait. By avoiding the rider taking the sketchy line through the corner, I have a better chance of staying upright. But in the racing world, balls are rewarded over worry.
I'll keep trying things until I find something that works. Season is definitely past the half way point. Including practice criteriums and time trials, I've done ~25 races this year. I'll probably do another 6 to 10 through July and August, but then things wrap up. I am going to try to shift down a notch, take the bike a little less seriously in the fall, get back into the weightroom, and have some fun with cyclocross.
Road racing is stressful and I don't feel like I can properly chill out about things until it is done.
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment