Saturday, February 9, 2008

In the meantime, keep your profile low

Friday 2/7/08

Managed to add a good aerobic conditioning workout on the trainer last night

10" Warmup
60" Continuous at Average HR ~145-150, ~200 Watts
10" Cool Down

Felt pretty good about yesterday. The black lung, if I continue living right, could be on its way out for good.

I'm at about 5 hours and change (all on the bike, mostly easy) so far this week. Not ideal as I was hoping to take the weekend off completely and be ready to go next week, but being sick really sets you back. You just have to do what you can to work around it.

I'll try to sneak in another aerobic workout on the rollers here in a minute.

Then I think I'm going to introduce Dr. 1% to the friend she never knew she had--Mr. Romanian Deadlift.

I believe that she is looking for, in her own words, more junk in the trunk.

JB, CES--thoughts on a junk development routine? RDL's, Deep Lunges, the almighty Squat? I've never sought specifically to use weightlifting to fill out a pair of jeans, but I will admit that it's a possible side effect.

We're just going to work on form with (probably) no weight at all today. I have a hunch that, as she is a she, Dr. 1% will be genetically predisposed to perfectly executed lifts.

In the event that she, upon first try, can "just do" a proper squat, she will be shot.

3 comments:

J.B. said...

This article is a good start.
Basically, squats, deads, Romanian deads, hard and heavy to spur muscle growth.. and while she's at it, heavy deads will help her grip for climbing, some rows and olympic lifts will help too.
Welcome to the club doc.

Anonymous said...

I'd agree with JB, and add two more deadlift variations to the mix.

Sumo Deadlifts - where one's feet are wider and hands are on the bar inside the legs.

Snatch-Grip Deadlifts - feet set conventional style, but hands one the bar wide, like you're doing a Snatch. You can add ROM (and, in the words of Sir Mix-A-Lot "a motor in the back of [your] Honda") by doing then standing on a 45# plate or small box.

...and, of course, the "red beans and rice" can't hurt the cause.

And while JB's right - hard and heavy will spur muscle growth - Doc's looking for mass, so make sure to include plenty of work in the 8-12 rep / 70-80% 1RM range.

Jesse said...

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys. I'll be sure to show the Doc how deadlifting, with those excellent variations go.

I can actually see her getting into heavy lifting. We kept it pretty light yesterday, so hopefully she isn't too sore to want to do it again...

The price of a good caboose.