Had some more quality time on the rollers yesterday. The black lung situation continues to improve to the point where I'm almost willing to call myself "normal."
Ah, who am I kidding. That'll never happen.
10" Warmup
100"Solid Aerobic riding, AHR ~ 145, AP ~200 Watts
10" Cool Down
Soundtrack provided by Drive by Truckers (new album is great), Bowie, and some more guilty pleasure Jethro Tull records.
Then I, for the first time ever, attempted to cop a CES workout verbatim. Then I, for the first time in awhile, was forced to abandon a workout.
Said workout:
21 Deadlifts
21 Cleans
15 DL's
15 Cleans
9 Deadlifts
9 Cleans
When I'd first read his post, I envisioned a complex of Deadlifts and Hang Cleans. And I thought it sounded like a decent idea.
Unfortunately, a thought occurred to me as I was getting dressed in the locker room. A thought that I wished would have never entered my head. But as it did, I had to address it.
What would CES do?
My gut was telling me that CES would almost certainly do proper cleans from the ground with a pretty much full front squat. That idea didn't agree with me too well, but I thought if I kept the weight light enough, I could give it a shot.
I did a little math and, giving CES credit for the 375# max DL, I figured that, at 225#, he was lifting about 60% of his max for the DL's. I calculated my load accordingly and settled on 165#.
For the cleans, I took a shot in the dark. I'm pretty bad at them, and I knew I'd be tired, so I settled on a measly 85 lbs.
Dr. 1% was off and running with a little rump booster routine (RDLs, Good Mornings, Squats, and Lunges). As expected, she did have good form, posture, flexibility, and mobility. With her already lifting much more soundly than I do, my required input was limited, and I set to work.
"CES says he took 11 minutes with this."
I looked at the clock, and when it said 6:20, I dove in.
The first 10 pulls went up easy. 11-14 were tougher. By rep 15, I knew that this was an A-game workout and anything short of your best was going to be shut the hell down.
I was having a bit of trouble staying focused, and I was having to pause for a few breaths after each lift, but I managed 21 reps. My legs were shaking as I locked out the last few.
I looked over at the clock and saw that 3 minutes and change had passed. Not looking good, champ.
I loaded up 85# on the bar to do cleans. The thought of executing a technically sound clean made me want to vomit, so I settled on power cleans.
I got through 8 of them. Then I thought maybe I could squeak out a hang clean. I managed to get the bar up to my waist on that rep.
I dropped the weight, sat down, put on my shoes, looked over at Dr. 1%, and said "That guy's nuts. What an animal."
"Could have told you that."
Thanks, Doc. I was cooked on on pace to finish the workout sometime on Tuesday morning rather than sometime around 6:31. "I'm done."
I'm going to come back to that workout. But I'm not ready yet.
A thought occurred to me after that set of 21: Would a guy like me, who has benefited from a wider stance on squats, also benefit from a wider stance on Deadlifts? Should I be deadlifting in a sumo style rather than a conventional style.
I don't know. The 1 rep I did do sumo style felt strong and right (?) in my lower back. I will research and experiment. If anyone has input and anecdotal pros and cons on deadlifting sumo style vs. conventional style, I'd be happy to hear them.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(176)
-
▼
February
(24)
- Should have had the V8
- It burns
- Keep it movin!
- Yup
- Shoes full of feet
- There will be blood
- Charlie is a rubbish guitar player
- He's throwing several punches. And he's blocking ...
- Ozeki
- What in the Sam Hill?
- Life'll Kill Ya
- Brutal
- Hoist up the John B's sails
- Learn to Swim
- Whole Mushrooms
- WWCESD?
- In the meantime, keep your profile low
- I returned a bag of groceries
- Ride the tiger
- But he hasn't got any mittens on
- The black lung abates and I am feeling better.I st...
- The TB diet
- Mining for Coal
- Winter is a cruel mistress
-
▼
February
(24)
3 comments:
Keep at it. Don't give up.
If you need to adjust the load, do so. If you need to adjust the work period, do so. Maybe start out by doing only the 15s and 9s. Maybe 3 sets of 9s. The big point of that workout, for me anyway, was to prove to myself I can put out lots of power for 10 minutes. I'm going to need that confidence on floor 36, I think.
Sumo v. conventional.
I was a conventional puller (out of ignorance, mostly) until I went and worked out with these amazing folks at the Granite City, IL YMCA. Rick Fowler, in particular, helped me a bunch.
Sumo, so I'm told, is best for people who have longer torsos and shorter limbs. I'm short and relatively squat. Fits me just fine.
One thing with the sumo, however, is that you won't be able to blast heavy loads off the floor. You have to have LOTS of patience to start the bar moving. Just keep pulling hard. It'll move. Once you can get it moving, you should be good to lockout.
I still train both (and more - RDL, Snatch Grip, etc) but when I'm really trying to pull heavy, I pull Sumo.
Try adjusting your feet a little. See where you're comfortable. Doesn't hurt to experiment.
First off, don't get discouraged, we all tinker with workouts, and finding your limits is never a bad thing, you just need to adjust your expectations and push those limits.
Sumo v. conventional goes a lot of ways. Some people say taller folks should lift sumo, some say the opposite. I don't think it has nearly as much to do with levers, and more to do with comfort. I find even though I have long levers sumo works better than conventional for me because I can sit back better against the weight. When I pull conventional my hips tend to come up ahead of my shoulders/the weight, which is bad technique. So, as previously stated, fool around with both of them (using light weight) and see what feels better.
Again, much obliged fellas. CES, I like the idea of high power output for 5-10 minute durations. Though I have heard nothing that says so for sure, I have a hunch that I would substantially benefit from being capable of this sort of power output on a bike. Most people power train exclusively on the bike. Which I do. I just think it might be good to add this sort of thing into the mix.
Again, thanks to both of you for the encouragement--I'll try out some sumo lifts next week and see if there is a noticeable difference, whether it be better or worse.
Post a Comment