I took it easy yesterday. Watched a solid 3-4 episodes of Season One of Lost on loan from DCSIV.
Dr. 1% and I have been on task with spending much of Sunday evenings cooking vats of food with the intention of having leftovers for the week.
Southwestern theme last night. Lots of chilli powder, chorizo, and cilantro. I was particularly pleased with the Dr's offering, which outshined my own--rarely outshineable--veggie chili.
I think this mass quantity Sunday is a good plan. I haven't spent much on lunches out during work. And I've managed to eat much healthier. Also, this bounty of leftovers approach generally works well with my typically hectic schedule.
So yeah, looks like I'm eating good for another week.
After using the bread machine hard for a year, I'm back to making this stuff by hand. The half hour of hand mixing (I don't have a mixer) and kneading had my heart rate redlined and I had to shed layers whilst I did it.
In the end came a very good multigrain loaf featuring such players as Amaranth, Steel Cut Oats, Flax meal, and wheat bran. I'm finally getting to where I can balance the addition of whole grains and still get a loaf that isn't overly dense. Two big things that work in your favor: Bread Flour (King Arthur is particularly good) and extra Wheat gluten. But I probably managed to work close to a cup (of whole grains), maybe a hair over, into ~6 cups of flour and about 3 tablespoons of gluten to get a dough that rose well and had a quality texture when it came out of the oven.
Success.
Also, my weight jumped to 186 shortly after my return to LA for the holidays. I'm happy to report that, as of this morning, it's back down to 180. 6 down. 8 to go.
Monday, February 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(176)
-
▼
February
(24)
- Should have had the V8
- It burns
- Keep it movin!
- Yup
- Shoes full of feet
- There will be blood
- Charlie is a rubbish guitar player
- He's throwing several punches. And he's blocking ...
- Ozeki
- What in the Sam Hill?
- Life'll Kill Ya
- Brutal
- Hoist up the John B's sails
- Learn to Swim
- Whole Mushrooms
- WWCESD?
- In the meantime, keep your profile low
- I returned a bag of groceries
- Ride the tiger
- But he hasn't got any mittens on
- The black lung abates and I am feeling better.I st...
- The TB diet
- Mining for Coal
- Winter is a cruel mistress
-
▼
February
(24)
No comments:
Post a Comment