Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Learn to Swim

Monday 2/11/08

Another fairly chill day. Some light box squats at the gym and an easy aerobic ride on the rollers.

Gym:

Warmup

Hip Mobility drills
Back Squats (w/ box) @ 45#, 45#


I used a low platform such that when I was at the bottom of the squat, my femurs were well below parallel for the warmup. I sat for awhile at full depth after the set to try to stretch and get my body ready for some box squats.

Work

Back Squats (w/box)

1 x 6 @ 115#
4 x 6 @ 135#


I added some height to the box such that my femurs were roughly parallel--maybe a hair below--for the above 5 sets. Then I slid a plate out of the platform (I use 45# plates to dial the height to where I want it), which dropped it down another 1.5" , give or take.

Then I got

1 x 6 @ 85#

I wanted more, but I'd been at the rack for awhile and there was a queue developing. The range of motion is improving, though it's still pretty tough on the old hip flexors. They are resisting the new way a bit, but I'm getting more mobile and keeping my back proper for the full range of depth. The improvement is most evident when I revisit the leg swings and lateral lunges after a box squat workout. Good stuff.

Superset:

3 x 5 Pull Ups, 20 Push Ups, 12 Cable Crunches, Pull Ups till failure, 90 seconds rest.


I had the mental edge to go for the extra pull ups at the end of the set yesterday. Though "failure" was roughly 3 (0 on the last go round).

Front Squats:

3 x 8 @ 45#


I keep going back to these because I think the mobility issue (and any improvements I make) are evident in other styles of squatting that I've typically had trouble with (front squats, overhead squats). So I threw in a bit of light front squats in hopes of pushing the hip flexors a little further and improving my clean technique.

60' on the rollers, Easy Aerobic Pace (HR ~140)

My heart rate monitor and bike computer both failed yesterday. They need new batteries. So I just had to guess about the workout based on perceived exertion. Not as accurate to be sure, but it's a good thing to be capable of categorizing your effort by listening to your body.

Props to Rob for the trainer mix. "Jesus Built My Hot Rod" is the best indoor riding song ever.

2 comments:

Dragonslayer said...

That's funny; I debated about putting that one on the disc. Glad you like it.

Jesse said...

Are you kidding me? The Trooper and Jesus Built My Hot Rod back to back is easily the high point of the mix.